‘The Greatest Show on Earth’ (aka the Super Bowl) returns in 2020, like every year, with abundant incredible storylines. Some of them are predictable – returning heroes, old foes; many more are fresh and new. There will be unlikely players and jaw-dropping moments.
This NFL season, young though it is, is already shaping up to be an absolute classic, but the battle lines for the playoffs early next year are already being drawn. So, who can you expect to see in next year’s match-up, and how might it all go down?
We break down the contenders, the highlights, and the possible outcome of the biggest night in sports.
The Big Teams
True to form, a few perennial contenders have (after 3 games) already showed they mean business in the battle to be playing in the playoffs come January.
In no particular order, there are as such.
- New England Patriots – Will they ever not be good? Reigning Superbowl Champions Tom Brady and Coach Belichick have put together another unbeaten start, and a resurgent Pats defensive unit is pancaking opposing teams. Scarier still, they almost always improve for the playoffs…
- Green Bay Packers – After a disappointing season last year, the Packers made serious moves in the offseason (including a new Head Coach), and so far it seems to be paying off. Expect to see Aaron Rodgers, one of the most talented quarterbacks in the game, back in the mix with his new-look team.
- Kansas City Chiefs – Last year’s MVP Pat Mahomes continues to work miracles with his cannon of a right arm and looks to be marching the Chiefs straight back into Superbowl contention.
- Los Angeles Rams – After humiliation at the hands of the Patriots in the Superbowl, the Rams are out for revenge, and their talismanic pass-rusher Aaron Donald isn’t messing around this year, looking for a historic 3rd Defensive Player of the Year.
- Baltimore Ravens – Lamar Jackson split opinions last year as a rookie quarterback who looked more confident on the ground than he did through the air. Then, he went nuclear on the Dolphins in Week 1, showing that he’s got the talent to take this team on a deep playoff run.
- Dallas Cowboys – Currently enjoying their best start to a season in years, and thriving off the continuous improvement of quarterback Dak Prescott, the Cowboys look poised for something exciting this year.
Predictions for the Super Bowl
It’s always so difficult to guess how a season where so much can change might shape up. There’s half a dozen teams not on that list who all have a brilliant chance to make it to a Championship game.
But, if we’re staking our claim, here’s our prediction for the outcome in February.
Chiefs vs Packers
Kansas City makes it to the Superbowl courtesy of a huge win against a Patriots team who go 15-1 or 14-2 in the regular season, but lose a rematch shootout in the AFC Championship Game after Mahomes throws a 75 yard Hail Mary as time expires.
The Packers see off all comers in the NFC, closing out their season at 12-4 and then taking down the rival Bears in the postseason, closely followed by the Rams in the NFC Championship Game.
Final Score: Packers Win 29-28
The Pack end up taking it all at the Super Bowl, thanks to a successful 2-pt conversion in the 4th Quarter. Mahomes throws a game-icing interception with 00:45 remaining, as the Chiefs attempt to get in field goal range.
You heard it here first…